Eating goldfish
Windmill
2014-04-22 19:30:09 UTC
I knew a guy who as a teenager in the 50s tried to impress people by
eating a goldfish. Or so he said.
(I doubt if the girls were impressed).

Now I read that the RSPCA has involved itself in the prosecution of
someone who did the same thing.

Many of my relatives were farmers, so as a guy I'm not particularly
squeamish, but I never liked the goldfish trick in the first place.

However, are the RSPCA now going to do something about the people who
eat live oysters?

The leaves of that lettuce you had on your sandwich may have been still
alive when you ate them. You destroyed a living organism, something so
complex that researchers would be exultant if they found a Martian
equivalent of the humble lettuce.
--
Windmill, ***@NoneHome.com Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Claudio Calvelli - to email replace qwertyuiop with c.news
2014-04-22 21:25:52 UTC
Post by Windmill
Now I read that the RSPCA has involved itself in the prosecution of
someone who did the same thing.
Just eat children. The RSPCA won't mind.

Windmill
2014-04-24 10:26:39 UTC
Post by Claudio Calvelli - to email replace qwertyuiop with c.news
Post by Windmill
Now I read that the RSPCA has involved itself in the prosecution of
someone who did the same thing.
Just eat children. The RSPCA won't mind.
But why risk kuru?
Sam Wilson
2014-04-23 09:42:49 UTC
Post by Windmill
I knew a guy who as a teenager in the 50s tried to impress people by
eating a goldfish. Or so he said.
(I doubt if the girls were impressed).
There was a Candid Camera sketch which apparently involved eating a
gold-looking-fish carved from carrot. Maybe some people did it for real.
Post by Windmill
Now I read that the RSPCA has involved itself in the prosecution of
someone who did the same thing.
Many of my relatives were farmers, so as a guy I'm not particularly
squeamish, but I never liked the goldfish trick in the first place.
However, are the RSPCA now going to do something about the people who
eat live oysters?
The leaves of that lettuce you had on your sandwich may have been still
alive when you ate them. You destroyed a living organism, something so
complex that researchers would be exultant if they found a Martian
equivalent of the humble lettuce.
I've long thought the same about salad. Perhaps bats can hear the
plants scream.

Sam
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
Windmill
2014-04-24 10:29:59 UTC
Post by Windmill
Now I read that the RSPCA has involved itself in the prosecution of
someone who did the same thing.
Many of my relatives were farmers, so as a guy I'm not particularly
squeamish, but I never liked the goldfish trick in the first place.
However, are the RSPCA now going to do something about the people who
eat live oysters?
The leaves of that lettuce you had on your sandwich may have been still
alive when you ate them. You destroyed a living organism, something so
complex that researchers would be exultant if they found a Martian
equivalent of the humble lettuce.
I've long thought the same about salad. Perhaps bats can hear the
plants scream.
Considering that animals are parasitic on vegetables, but the latter
don't absolutely require the existence of the former (in most cases),
the jokes about Vegetable Rights have a point to them.
The Real Doctor
2014-04-26 10:03:49 UTC
Post by Windmill
However, are the RSPCA now going to do something about the people who
eat live oysters?
Even Peter Singer has said that eating oysters is fine, and for vegans too.

Ian