Where in Scotland is furthest from the sea
alan
2004-05-06 12:18:55 UTC
I've tried googling this, but cannot get an answer.

Where in Scotland is the furthest point from the coast (including sea lochs,
etc)?

regards,
/alan
Roland Watson

/alan
Jim
2004-05-06 16:20:30 UTC
Post by alan
I've tried googling this, but cannot get an answer.
Where in Scotland is the furthest point from the coast (including sea lochs,
etc)?
regards,
/alan
Sounds like a geography GIS course question. Maybe you could ask a GIS
newsgroup?

A google later:

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/freefun/geofacts/

but not the answer you want. :(

Jim
Bryan Henderson
2004-05-06 16:37:50 UTC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2271926.stm

between Dalwhinnie and Blair Atholl according to the BBC article above!
Bryan Henderson
2004-05-06 16:47:17 UTC
Post by alan
etc)?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2271926.stm
between Dalwhinnie and Blair Atholl according to the BBC article above!
having looked at a map I would say the BBC are wrong and that Braemar was
closer to the centre of Scotland due to the sea loch at Linlochleven being
close as the crow flies to the BBC site.
Angus
2004-05-06 16:50:03 UTC
Post by Bryan Henderson
having looked at a map I would say the BBC are wrong and that Braemar was
closer to the centre of Scotland due to the sea loch at Linlochleven being
close as the crow flies to the BBC site.
Of course, the centre of Scotland is not necessarily the point at which
Scottish turf is the furthest from the sea.

Angus
Bryan Henderson
2004-05-06 17:08:35 UTC
Post by Angus
Post by Bryan Henderson
having looked at a map I would say the BBC are wrong and that Braemar was
closer to the centre of Scotland due to the sea loch at Linlochleven being
close as the crow flies to the BBC site.
Of course, the centre of Scotland is not necessarily the point at which
Scottish turf is the furthest from the sea.
yes I meant to say that I thought Braemar was furthest from the sea or very
close to the point which is..
Sam Wilson
2004-05-06 18:00:31 UTC
Post by alan
etc)?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2271926.stm
between Dalwhinnie and Blair Atholl according to the BBC article above!
That's the geometrical centre of Scotland, including the islands. It's
not guaranteed to be farthest from the sea, but I'd be surprised if it
wasn't fairly close. Kingussie, as someone else suggested, is about 20
miles further north.

<http://www.loveofscotland.com/gazet.html> says, "The furthest point
from the sea is 70miles" but doesn't tell you which point actually has
that distinction. I can't easily tell if the BBC's point is 70 miles
from the sea.

Sam
bogus address
2004-05-08 00:36:11 UTC
Post by alan
Where in Scotland is the furthest point from the coast (including
sea lochs, etc)?
Crawford or Abington in the Southern Uplands?

The sea lochs put places like Dalwhinnie in the Highlands a lot
closer to salt water than they would be otherwise.

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.
alan
2004-05-09 17:50:32 UTC
Post by bogus address
Post by alan
Where in Scotland is the furthest point from the coast (including
sea lochs, etc)?
Crawford or Abington in the Southern Uplands?
The sea lochs put places like Dalwhinnie in the Highlands a lot
closer to salt water than they would be otherwise.
Interesting thought - I had assumed it would be somewhere west-south-west of
Aberdeen, so Kingussie might have fitted the bill. But somewhere around
Abinton might well be a possiblility.

Okay then, next question - whom does one ask?

regards,
/alan
Ronald Raygun
2004-05-09 22:38:09 UTC
Post by alan
Post by bogus address
Post by alan
Where in Scotland is the furthest point from the coast (including
sea lochs, etc)?
Crawford or Abington in the Southern Uplands?
The sea lochs put places like Dalwhinnie in the Highlands a lot
closer to salt water than they would be otherwise.
Interesting thought
Dalwhinnie's much too far West, and only 50km from Kinlochleven.
Post by alan
I had assumed it would be somewhere west-south-west
of Aberdeen, so Kingussie might have fitted the bill.
You're on the right track, but Kingussie is too far North, and
about 46km from the inner Moray Firth.

A point a few miles NE of Braemar looks promising. I make it
about 68km from the inner Moray Firth, from the North Sea just
N of Montrose, and from the Firth of Tay a bit W of Dundee.

It's a toss-up between there and a touch NE of Beinn Dearg,
about the same distance of the same-ish points near Inverness
and Dundee, but Kinlochleven instead of Montrose.
Post by alan
But somewhere around Abinton might well be a possiblility.
That would be the point equidistant from the Forth a bit West of
Bo'ness, the Clyde near Ayr, and the Solway at the Nith inlet,
but we're talking only about 57km.
No-one. Just sit yourself down with a map and a pair of dividers.
Robert Sneddon
2004-05-09 22:56:54 UTC
Post by alan
Where in Scotland is the furthest point from the coast (including sea lochs,
etc)?
Get a large map of Scotland and overlay it with circles of different
sizes (plates, CDs, saucers, bits of paper cutout) until you find the
largest circle that fits without touching the sea at any point. The
centre of that circle is probably where you're looking for. You might be
able to do this with a computer and a drawing package instead.
--
Email me via nojay (at) nojay (dot) fsnet (dot) co (dot) uk
This address no longer accepts HTML posts.

Robert Sneddon
Robert Sneddon
2004-05-09 23:40:48 UTC
Post by Robert Sneddon
Post by alan
Where in Scotland is the furthest point from the coast (including sea lochs,
etc)?
Get a large map of Scotland and overlay it with circles of different
sizes
You might be able to do this with a computer and a drawing package
instead.
OK, I tried this since my bump of curiousity was itching. The biggest
circle I can create on a map of Scotland without hitting the sea kisses
Inverness, Fort William and the Firth of Tay SE of Perth. This gives a
circle which is about 44 miles in radius, centred about 8 miles north of
the village of Calvine on the A9 west og Blair Atholl. The actual centre
is up in the hills with no significant signs of habitation nearby.

I can put another circle fractionally smaller than the first one (about
43 miles in radius) kissing Montrose and Inverness. The centre of this
circle is a couple of miles west of Braemar, at the village of
Allanaquoich. To refine the search I'd need a better map than the one I
downloaded and an idea of how far up the river Tay the sea comes, and
ditto for Inverness and the Moray Firth.

I'd guess the definitive point lies roughly on a line between those two
locations.

Robert Sneddon
Alex Hunsley
2004-05-10 09:26:28 UTC
Post by Robert Sneddon
Post by Robert Sneddon
Post by alan
[...]
I tried out of curiosity on our map in the office and the point is about 15
miles nortwest of Perth, very close to where Perth/Kinross borders the
Highlands region (at least on our map).

Now, what is the point furthest from any body of water, including significant
inland lakes? :)

alex
Ronald Raygun
2004-05-10 09:35:12 UTC
Define "significant".
Angus
2004-05-10 09:43:46 UTC
Post by Ronald Raygun
Define "significant".
sig·nif·i·cant (P) Pronunciation Key (sg-nf-knt)
adj.

1. Having or expressing a meaning; meaningful.
2. Having or expressing a covert meaning; suggestive: a significant glance.
See Synonyms at expressive.
3. Having or likely to have a major effect; important: a significant change
in the tax laws.
4. Fairly large in amount or quantity: significant casualties; no
significant opposition.
5. Statistics. Of or relating to observations or occurrences that are too
closely correlated to be attributed to chance and therefore indicate a
systematic relationship.

Always a pleasure,
Angus
Alex Hunsley
2004-05-10 15:24:39 UTC
Post by Ronald Raygun
Post by Alex Hunsley
Now, what is the point furthest from any body of water, including
significant inland lakes? :)
Define "significant".
containing greater than or equal to 314,159,265,358,979,323 litres of water.
what else did you think I could mean?

alex