looks like the wi-fi hack has hit Edinburgh
Add Reply
Jack Campin
2017-10-26 23:24:19 UTC
The only time I use wifi is on Lothian buses.

Tonight I tried to connect (having used it with no obvious problem
earlier in the evening) and got an odd-looking threatening popup
saying my phone was infected with viruses (and it got the OS version
right). Part of the popup was an obviously fake URL starting with
"app1e". I powered my phone off before doing anything else, turned
off wifi on restarting, and haven't seen a problem since.

I don't think I'll be using wifi again for quite a while.

mobile 07895 860 060 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin
Julian Bradfield
2017-10-27 10:00:36 UTC
Post by Jack Campin
The only time I use wifi is on Lothian buses.
What do you mean by "the wi-fi hack"? The most recent widely
publicized problem is a flaw in WPA2 security. However,
the bus wifi is an open network, so there is no WPA2 security to
be hacked.
Jack Campin
2017-10-27 23:18:29 UTC
Post by Julian Bradfield
Post by Jack Campin
The only time I use wifi is on Lothian buses.
What do you mean by "the wi-fi hack"? The most recent widely
publicized problem is a flaw in WPA2 security. However,
the bus wifi is an open network, so there is no WPA2 security to
be hacked.
If it's open, how come you have to log in?

mobile 07895 860 060 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin
Claudio Calvelli
2017-10-28 07:33:32 UTC
Post by Jack Campin
Post by Julian Bradfield
Post by Jack Campin
The only time I use wifi is on Lothian buses.
What do you mean by "the wi-fi hack"? The most recent widely
publicized problem is a flaw in WPA2 security. However,
the bus wifi is an open network, so there is no WPA2 security to
be hacked.
If it's open, how come you have to log in?
Completely different things. WPA2 requires a password from which it
derives an encryption key, but that is not logging in, is just setting
up the encryption. The bus lets you connect to the wifi without doing
that, and your connection to the access point on the bus is unencrypted.
If the bus had actually WPA2 encryption, they would need to print the
password on signs all over the bus, otherwise nobody would be able to
use it (this is why hotels, pubs, etc who have free wifi often have to
give you a bit of paper with a password).

Then the access point asks you to log in. This does not set up any
security or encryption, it just allows them to collect data about who is
using it and whatever other information they ask you to provide.

HTH