3 - 5 mm. U staples
Windmill
2014-03-19 06:02:28 UTC
Does anyone know where in Edinburgh one can buy small hammer-in
U shaped staples? Plenty of places have large U staples, but I couldn't
find small ones.
I want to tack two bare earth wires into the crevices and angles of the
decorative woodwork around a window.
A stapler wouldn't reach into some parts and its rectangular staples
would likely be more obvious, even if painted over. Ditto insulated
staples.

I went to Murray's Tool Store in Morrison St. because I was sure they
would have some, or know where I could get them, but found it had
closed down.
No doubt driven out of business by the tram works nearby at Haymarket,
and all the concomitant traffic re-routing.

Small places like that are invaluable, but a million pound publicity
campaign isn't going to get them back (at best it might help those
who got degrees in 'media studies').
--
Windmill, ***@NoneHome.com Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Julian Bradfield
2014-03-19 07:28:11 UTC
Post by Windmill
Does anyone know where in Edinburgh one can buy small hammer-in
U shaped staples? Plenty of places have large U staples, but I couldn't
find small ones.
Your local hardware store? Homebase? A.N. Other large store?
Post by Windmill
I went to Murray's Tool Store in Morrison St. because I was sure they
would have some, or know where I could get them, but found it had
closed down.
No doubt driven out of business by the tram works nearby at Haymarket,
and all the concomitant traffic re-routing.
Did you try looking in the windows for notices? Their web site says
they've moved to 130 Pitt St, Leith. Which is a pain, but then I've
been into the Morrison St shop once in 25 years, so I suppose I can't
really complain.

I have a large surplus of small U-staples for my staple gun - if you
hammer carefully you might be able to use those. Drop me a note, and
I'll stick some in the post, if you like.
Zimmy
2014-03-19 13:00:06 UTC
Post by Windmill
I went to Murray's Tool Store in Morrison St. because I was sure they
would have some, or know where I could get them, but found it had
closed down.
No doubt driven out of business by the tram works nearby at Haymarket,
and all the concomitant traffic re-routing.
Did you try looking in the windows for notices? Their web site says
they've moved to 130 Pitt St, Leith. Which is a pain, but then I've
been into the Morrison St shop once in 25 years, so I suppose I can't
really complain.
I have a large surplus of small U-staples for my staple gun - if you
hammer carefully you might be able to use those. Drop me a note, and
I'll stick some in the post, if you like.
Haven't U-shaped staples largely been replaced by the plastic clips with
the little nail on one side, used for phone cables, etc?

They tend not to risk damaging the cable as much, especially screened
coax, etc.

charles
2014-03-19 16:11:52 UTC
Post by Zimmy
Post by Windmill
[...]
no use for fixing chicken wire, though.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
Windmill
2014-03-19 21:23:51 UTC
Post by charles
Post by Zimmy
Post by Windmill
[...]
Or 18 S.W.G. tinned copper wire.
Windmill
2014-03-19 21:20:05 UTC
Post by Zimmy
Post by Windmill
I went to Murray's Tool Store in Morrison St. because I was sure they
would have some, or know where I could get them, but found it had
closed down.
No doubt driven out of business by the tram works nearby at Haymarket,
and all the concomitant traffic re-routing.
Did you try looking in the windows for notices? Their web site says
they've moved to 130 Pitt St, Leith. Which is a pain, but then I've
been into the Morrison St shop once in 25 years, so I suppose I can't
really complain.
I have a large surplus of small U-staples for my staple gun - if you
hammer carefully you might be able to use those. Drop me a note, and
I'll stick some in the post, if you like.
Haven't U-shaped staples largely been replaced by the plastic clips with
the little nail on one side, used for phone cables, etc?
Yes, they have.
Post by Zimmy
They tend not to risk damaging the cable as much, especially screened
coax, etc.
But are large and ugly when all you want is to tack in some bare 18 gauge
tinned copper cable.

(OK, so it's never going to look pretty, no matter what :-)
Zimmy
2014-03-20 11:54:33 UTC
Post by Windmill
Post by Zimmy
Post by Zimmy
They tend not to risk damaging the cable as much, especially screened
coax, etc.
But are large and ugly when all you want is to tack in some bare 18 gauge
tinned copper cable.
(OK, so it's never going to look pretty, no matter what :-)
You get small ones too. I actually have a U staple gun too - so much
quicker than those fiddly little plastic things.

Windmill
2014-03-20 18:17:05 UTC
Post by Zimmy
Post by Windmill
Post by Zimmy
Post by Zimmy
They tend not to risk damaging the cable as much, especially screened
coax, etc.
But are large and ugly when all you want is to tack in some bare 18 gauge
tinned copper cable.
(OK, so it's never going to look pretty, no matter what :-)
You get small ones too. I actually have a U staple gun too - so much
quicker than those fiddly little plastic things.
Don't think that would work where the wire runs in the angle between
the floor and the panel beside the window though. Hence the wish for
small hammer-in U staples.
Windmill
2014-03-19 21:23:01 UTC
Post by Windmill
I went to Murray's Tool Store in Morrison St. because I was sure they
would have some, or know where I could get them, but found it had
closed down.
No doubt driven out of business by the tram works nearby at Haymarket,
and all the concomitant traffic re-routing.
Did you try looking in the windows for notices? Their web site says
they've moved to 130 Pitt St, Leith.
Dind't know they had a web site. There didn't seem to be anything
obvious in the window, but it wouldn't be the first time that I missed
a small notice.
Post by Julian Bradfield
Which is a pain, but then I've
been into the Morrison St shop once in 25 years, so I suppose I can't
really complain.
I have a large surplus of small U-staples for my staple gun - if you
hammer carefully you might be able to use those. Drop me a note, and
I'll stick some in the post, if you like.
Don't know if that would work, but thank you. I'll see what Murray's
say and maybe get back to you.
a***@gmail.com
2014-03-22 22:46:46 UTC
Post by Windmill
Dind't know they had a web site. There didn't seem to be anything
obvious in the window, but it wouldn't be the first time that I missed
a small notice.
There was a notice as big as the window, but the landlords may now have removed it.

They didn't move so much as close Morrison Street, they already had premises at Pitt St.

Such a shame, seeing Murray's and Macdonald's Cycles close within a month or two.

The Real Doctor
2014-03-23 12:33:43 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
They didn't move so much as close Morrison Street, they already had premises at Pitt St.
They used to have a branch at Haymarket as well, and another on whatever
the hell Nicholson Street is called by then.

Ian