Local History
Steve Glover
2004-06-23 12:05:49 UTC
For reasons probably too complicated to go into here (but involving a
20th anniversary pubcrawl), I'm trying to find out which pubs that
were listed in the 1976 EUSPB-published Edinburgh Pub Guide are still
in existence under changed names.

Can anyone help, please?

Alternatively, if you've memories or old stories of any of the places
below....
(And did we really do so much drinking in hotels back then?)

Old Town

Doric and McGuffies, The Flying Scotsman, The Carlton Hotel, Halfway
House, Jinglin' Geordies, Ensign Ewarts, Deacon Brodie's, Royal
George, The Covenanters, The Royal Mile Centre, Royal Mile Bar,
Valentines, The Black Swan, Adelphi Hotel, The Wig and Pen, Jim's Inn,
Plevna Lounge, Yellow Carvel, World's End, The Allan Ramsay, The Lorna
Doon, The Mitre Bar, The Waverley, Royal Archers, The White Horse, The
Blue Blanket, Tolbooth Tavern, Jenny Ha's, The Snuffbox, Holyrood Bar,
Green Tree, Nips O Brandy, Greyfriars Bobby, Candlemaker Arms, The
Honeypot, Carriers Rest, Fiddler's Arms, White Hart Inn, The Last
Drop, The Beehive, The Cauldron, Nicky Tam'sw Espionage, The Tap o'
Lauriston, Lord Darnley, The Western Bar, Jessie's Bar, The Burke and
Hare, The Garrick, The Blue Blazer, The Castle Arms, Chez Fred / The
Chateau, The Lochiel, Doyles

New Town

Albyn / Denmark Rooms, Denzlers, York Bar, Shelbourne Lounge (Osborne
Hotel), Leerie's Lamplighter Bar and Lounge, Green Tree (Castle St),
Zodiac, Oxford Bar, The Bandwagon, Victoria and Albert, The World,
Henderson's, Jolly Carter's Inn, Milne's Bar, Beau Brummel, Three
Tuns, Daniel Brown's, The Gordon Arms, Rose and Crown, Scotts, The
Galloping Major, The Kenilworth, Rose Revived, The Tankard, The Auld
Hundred, Robertson's Bar, White Cockade, Cottars Howff, The
Abbotsford, The Grand, The Dunedin, Traveller's Tryst, Ivanhoe, The
Guildford Arms, The Cafe Royal, The Whip and Saddle, The Spot, Mons
Meg Tavern, Talisman Bar, New Town Hotels (Royal British, Mount Royal,
Palace, Caledonian, The Roxburgh, St Andrews, George - Perigord Bar,
King James, North British), Stockbridge (Raeburn Bar, Raeburn House
Hotel, John's Bar, The Rag Doll, The Dean, Territorial Bar, Silver
Buckle, The Baillie, The Antiquary, Christopher North Hotel, Kay's
Bar), New Town Hotel, St Vincent Bar, The Tilted Wig, Hotels on Royal
Circus (Royal Circus, Craigholme, Myrim, Glencairn), Clarke's Bar,
More Hotels (Drummond Hotel, The County Hotel, The Nelson Hotel), Star
Tavern, The Highwayman

North Edinburgh

Abbeyhill (Lovat Bar, Regent Buffet, The Cairns Bar, Station Bar,
Artisan Bar), Easter Road (Middleton's, Mac's Bar, Four-in-hand, Royal
Nip, Iona Bar, Tamson's Bar, Cooper's Rest), Leith Walk (Quarter Gill,
Weigh Inn, The Mayfair, The Elm Bar, Joseph Pearce, The Windsor
Buffet, Brunswick Lounge, The Cairn Hotel, Albert Bar, The Halfway
House, Boundary Bar, Pilrig Arms, Shrub Bar, Clan Tavern, Strathmore
Bar, Dizzy Lizzy), Broughton (The Abercraig Hotel, Mather's Bar,
Albany Bar, The Bastille Bar, The Barony Bar, Broughton Bar, Stag's
Head Bar and Lounge, Old Coach Inn, The Northern Bar), Royal Terrace
Hotels (Sgian Dubh Hotel, Park Hotel, Menzies Hotel, Arden Hotel,
Claymore Hotel, Raeburn Hotel), Waterloo Bar

South Edinburgh

The Pivot, Rutherford's, Stewart's Bar, Doolittle's, The Phoenix Bar,
Wee Anderson's, The Southsider, The Trot Inn, The New Edinburgh Bar,
The Green Mantle, The Red Garter / The New Vic, The Grapes, The
Southern, Abbey Buffet, The Junction Bar, The Wine Glass, The Falcon
Arms, The Victoria Bar, Ye Old Grange Tavern, Gold Tankard, Jamie's
Bar, The Sherry Bar, Leslie's Bar, Argyll Bar, Totem Bar, Buccleuch
Arms, The Meadow Bar, University (Teviot Room, Park Room, Sportsman's
Bar, Potterrow Bar, Chambers Street Bar), Tony's Cellar Bar, The
Mortar, Forrest Hill Bar / Sandy Bell's, The Captains Bar, Bill's Bar,
The Auld Hoose, The Rock, The Park Inn, Jeannie Dean's Tryste

West Edinburgh

Haymarket Bar, Ryrie's, Grosvenor Centre Hotel, Hotel Ritz, Palmerston
Hotel, West End Hotel, Rothesay Hotel, Thistle Hotel, The Haymarket,
The Randolph, Mather's Bar, West End, Le Bistro, The Melville, The
Auld House, The Epicure, The Grosvenor, The Maitland Hotel, The
Quaich, The Osborne Bar, Fagan's, The Beer and Bite, Rutland Hotel,
The Burnt Post, Anderson's / The Copper Top, The Lochrin, Franco's
Office Bar, The Penthouse, Burlington Berty's, Bennet's, The Old Toll
Bar, Orlando Hotel / Orange Grove, Chic Murray's, Bruntsfield Hotel,
The Kestrel Bar, Golf Tavern, Bennet's Bar, The Canny Man's /
Volunteer Arms, The Merlin, The Hermitage

The Best of the Rest

The King's Wark, The Bay Horse, Noble's, Prestonfield House, Old Chain
Pier, The Athletic Arms / Gravediggers, Cramond Inn, The Hawes Inn,
The Sheep Heid, Piershill Tavern

Thanks

Steve
--
This address is a spamtrap - please reply to steve at fell hyphen
services dot net
Stewart Smith
2004-06-23 12:28:30 UTC
Post by Steve Glover
For reasons probably too complicated to go into here (but involving a
20th anniversary pubcrawl), I'm trying to find out which pubs that
were listed in the 1976 EUSPB-published Edinburgh Pub Guide are still
in existence under changed names.
Can anyone help, please?
Alternatively, if you've memories or old stories of any of the places
below....
(And did we really do so much drinking in hotels back then?)
I think that maybe a lot of pubs then had rooms as well? Certainly single
people often stayed in lodgings rather than renting flats. Anyway I can answer
Post by Steve Glover
North Edinburgh
Abbeyhill (Lovat Bar, Regent Buffet, The Cairns Bar, Station Bar,
Artisan Bar),
The Regent is there, though it's dropped the "Buffet", as is the Artisan. No
idea about the others.
Post by Steve Glover
Easter Road (Middleton's, Mac's Bar, Four-in-hand, Royal
Nip, Iona Bar, Tamson's Bar, Cooper's Rest),
All of these are still there under the same names last I remember, except maybe
"Mac's Bar" which I think is on Great Junction St.
Post by Steve Glover
Leith Walk (Quarter Gill,
Weigh Inn, The Mayfair, The Elm Bar, Joseph Pearce, The Windsor
Buffet, Brunswick Lounge, The Cairn Hotel, Albert Bar, The Halfway
House, Boundary Bar, Pilrig Arms, Shrub Bar, Clan Tavern, Strathmore
Bar, Dizzy Lizzy),
A LOT of these are gone and some of them I couldn't even tell you the new names.
The Boundary is now "City Limits" and I think the Elm, Joseph Pearce, the
Windsor, Brunswick Lounge and Dizzies (which is not quite on the Walk) are still
there under almost the original names. Some others might have had several name
changes. The Shrub is definitely gone as is the Weigh Inn (which might now be
Jaynes via the Walk Inn).

Sorry it's not much help.

Stewart
You are about to enter... The Scary Door...
Alan Brown
2004-06-23 12:54:33 UTC
Doric - still there, same name
McGuffies - still there, same name
The Flying Scotsman
The Carlton Hotel - Still there but new owners
Halfway House - Still there, same name
Jinglin' Geordies - Still there, same name
Ensign Ewarts - Still there, same name
Deacon Brodie's - Still there, same name
Royal George
The Covenanters
The Royal Mile Centre
Royal Mile Bar - Still there, (The Royal Mile Taveren)
Valentines - Still there, same name
The Black Swan
Adelphi Hotel
The Wig and Pen
Jim's Inn
Plevna Lounge
Yellow Carvel - Still there, but renamed The Tron Bar
World's End - Still there, same name
The Allan Ramsay
The Lorna Doon
The Mitre Bar - Still there, same name
The Waverley - Still there, same name
Royal Archers - still there but renamed - The Tass
The White Horse - Still there, same name
The Blue Blanket - Still there, same name
Tolbooth Tavern - Still there, same name
Jenny Ha's - Still there, same name
The Snuffbox
Holyrood Bar - Still there, same name
Green Tree - Still there, but renamed
Nips O Brandy
Greyfriars Bobby - Still there, same name
Candlemaker Arms
The Honeypot
Carriers Rest
Fiddler's Arms - Still there, but renamed ???
White Hart Inn - Still there, same name
The Last Drop - still there, same name
The Beehive - Still there, same name
The Cauldron
Nicky Tam's - still there - renamed Espionage
The Tap o' Lauriston - building knocked down
Lord Darnley - still there, but renamed - El Barrio (sp)
The Western Bar - Still there, same name
Jessie's Bar
The Burke and Hare - Still there, same name
The Garrick
The Blue Blazer - Still there, same name
The Castle Arms - still there, same name
Chez Fred / The Chateau
The Lochiel
Doyles
Post by Steve Glover
North Edinburgh
Abbeyhill (Lovat Bar, Regent Buffet, The Cairns Bar, Station Bar,
Artisan Bar),
The Regent is there, though it's dropped the "Buffet", as is the Artisan.
No
Post by Stewart Smith
idea about the others.
Alan Brown
2004-06-23 12:57:16 UTC
Just remembered where The Garrick was

Its still there but renamed as one of those slug and lettuce type theme
bars, cant remeber what its called now
Soup
2004-06-23 14:30:05 UTC
Soup popped his head over the parapet,saw what was going on and said
Post by Alan Brown
Fiddler's Arms - Still there, but renamed ???
Is this not really called Sandy Bells (Forrest road).
If so has always been nicknamed the fiddlers

http://www.footstompin.com/articles/session_pubs/sandy_bells
--
Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
Non plaudite. Modo pecuniam jacite / \
Alan Brown
2004-06-23 15:09:02 UTC
Post by Soup
Is this not really called Sandy Bells (Forrest road).
If so has always been nicknamed the fiddlers
http://www.footstompin.com/articles/session_pubs/sandy_bells
--
Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
Non plaudite. Modo pecuniam jacite / \
No, The pub now named Sandy Bells used to be called the Forresthill Bar,
locals called it Sandy Bells because that was the name of the well known
landlord. A few years ago, probably for marketing reasons, it was named
Sandy Bells on the front of the pub.

The Fiddlers Arms was in the Grassmarket on the corner where it meets the
West Post. Bar Alba or something like that ???

Alan
Soup
2004-06-23 15:25:31 UTC
\
No, The pub now named Sandy Bells used to be called the Forresthill
Bar, locals called it Sandy Bells because that was the name of the
well known landlord. A few years ago, probably for marketing reasons,
it was named Sandy Bells on the front of the pub.
The Fiddlers Arms was in the Grassmarket on the corner where it meets
the West Post. Bar Alba or something like that ???
Alan
Sounds right Alan, was basically going on trips to the Royal
(not the best time to notice what is going on) stay at Balerno.
Mike Dickson
2004-06-23 20:38:27 UTC
Post by Alan Brown
The Fiddlers Arms was in the Grassmarket on the corner where it meets the
West Post. Bar Alba or something like that ???
That's the one. Despite the violins that were all over the walls of the
old place it was named The Fiddler's Arms after a manager who ran off
with the takings.

Mike Dickson, Edinburgh, Scotland
bogus address
2004-06-24 00:27:38 UTC
Post by Alan Brown
No, The pub now named Sandy Bells used to be called the Forresthill
Bar, locals called it Sandy Bells because that was the name of the
well known landlord.
It was more complicated than that, according to Charlie the current
landlord. In the Fifties it started getting referred to as "Sandy
*at* Bell's", Sandy being the manager and Bell (or Belle?) the
mostly-absentee licensee. They got conflated into one person after
both of them had quit the business.

One oddity of Edinburgh pubs that Steve didn't mention is the local
habit of changing a pub's name after somebody gets murdered in it.
Remember the St Vincent? The Sorbonne (twice renamed for that
reason)? Annabel's? The World's End didn't change its name, maybe
they figured the publicity from something that lurid would attract
business.

Hmm. I feel a themed tour business coming on. Anybody reading this
look convincingly like Jimmy Baigrie?

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.
Alan Brown
2004-06-24 09:28:25 UTC
Post by bogus address
reason)? Annabel's? The World's End didn't change its name, maybe
they figured the publicity from something that lurid would attract
business.
The Worlds End did change its name for a number of years after the murders.
When everything quietened down it was renamed back to The Worlds End. I
suspect that they were note xpecting advances in DNA technology to bring it
back to public notice.

I can't remember what it was called though, anyone remember?

alan brown
Ian Hughson
2004-06-24 12:30:38 UTC
Post by Alan Brown
The Worlds End did change its name for a number of years after the murders.
When everything quietened down it was renamed back to The Worlds End.
And, indeed, the St. Vincent is so named today.
--
Ian

To e-mail me, restore my initials to their proper place.
Ian is my middle name.
bogus address
2004-06-23 16:11:08 UTC
Post by Soup
Post by Alan Brown
Fiddler's Arms - Still there, but renamed ???
Is this not really called Sandy Bells (Forrest road).
If so has always been nicknamed the fiddlers
http://www.footstompin.com/articles/session_pubs/sandy_bells
What was the Fiddlers Arms is now Bar Alba (west end of the Grassmarket).
Sandy Bell's used to be officially called the Forrest Hill Bar, the name
on tbe door changed a few years ago to match what people had been calling
it for 30 years.

Sandy Bells has never been called the Fiddlers.

The_tattie_howker
2004-06-23 21:57:33 UTC
Post by bogus address
Post by Soup
Post by Alan Brown
Fiddler's Arms - Still there, but renamed ???
Is this not really called Sandy Bells (Forrest road).
If so has always been nicknamed the fiddlers
http://www.footstompin.com/articles/session_pubs/sandy_bells
What was the Fiddlers Arms is now Bar Alba (west end of the Grassmarket).
Sandy Bell's used to be officially called the Forrest Hill Bar, the name
on tbe door changed a few years ago to match what people had been calling
it for 30 years.
Sandy Bells has never been called the Fiddlers.
Interesting, when I first came to Edinburgh, I thought Sandy Bells was
called Fiddlers. But maybe I've just picked up on the same info (or
passed it on).

TTH
bogus address
2004-06-23 22:42:44 UTC
Post by Steve Glover
The Covenanters
Became the Blue Blanket and then the Canon's Gait.

Alan Brown
2004-06-24 00:32:05 UTC
Post by bogus address
Post by Steve Glover
The Covenanters
Became the Blue Blanket and then the Canon's Gait.
Ah, thats right, sorry I was confusing it with the Blue Blazer at Spittal
Street. You are totally correct.

Just to sort out something else what is that "Slug and Lettuce" pub called -
across the road from The Blue Blazer.

alan
Mike Dickson
2004-06-24 08:25:06 UTC
Post by Alan Brown
Just to sort out something else what is that "Slug and Lettuce" pub called -
across the road from The Blue Blazer.
'The Footlights and Firkin'.

Put it this way - it's round the corner from me and it's the worst of
all possible worlds. It's both a student 'firkin' hovel and a watering
hole for actors, two species that I would gladly set fire to if I
thought I could get away with it.

A-fucking-void.

Mike Dickson, Edinburgh, Scotland
Ian Hughson
2004-06-24 12:28:44 UTC
Post by Mike Dickson
Post by Alan Brown
Just to sort out something else what is that "Slug and Lettuce" pub called -
across the road from The Blue Blazer.
'The Footlights and Firkin'.
Just "Footlights" now, similar to most of the other former "... and Firkin"
pubs. (Exception: the Fling and Firkin on Rose Street is now the Saltire.)

Ian is my middle name.
Ian Hughson
2004-06-24 12:33:05 UTC
Post by Alan Brown
Green Tree - Still there, but renamed
Really? I thought it was demolished ages ago.

Ian is my middle name.
Stewart Smith
2004-06-24 12:42:43 UTC
Post by Ian Hughson
Post by Alan Brown
Green Tree - Still there, but renamed
Really? I thought it was demolished ages ago.
It was, there is a pub on the same site (no idea of the name) but it's a new
building.

Stewart
You are about to enter... The Scary Door...
Chris Fleming
2004-06-24 14:38:55 UTC
Post by Stewart Smith
Post by Ian Hughson
Post by Alan Brown
Green Tree - Still there, but renamed
Really? I thought it was demolished ages ago.
It was, there is a pub on the same site (no idea of the name) but it's a
new building.
It was a complete rebuild - more of a bar/club with a range of expensive
cocktails and no decent beer, they may even claim to be a restaurant as
well.

Cheers
Chris
Stephen Jones
2004-06-23 18:26:59 UTC
On 23 Jun 2004 05:05:49 -0700
Post by Steve Glover
For reasons probably too complicated to go into here (but involving a
20th anniversary pubcrawl), I'm trying to find out which pubs that
were listed in the 1976 EUSPB-published Edinburgh Pub Guide are still
in existence under changed names.
That's one hell of a lot of pubs, are you planning to still be breathing
at the end of this crawl?

The Cauldron is now the Quarter Gill. Dunno about any of the others.
Steve Glover
2004-06-23 19:16:35 UTC
Post by Stephen Jones
That's one hell of a lot of pubs, are you planning to still be breathing
at the end of this crawl?
Not planning on hitting quite all of them - some of the ones that do
good beer today, and a few others for sentimental reasons.
Post by Stephen Jones
The Cauldron is now the Quarter Gill. Dunno about any of the others.
I think the Cauldron referenced upstream was the one on Victoria Street
and is now the Bow Bar (unless it was a little further up the hill), and
while the Quarter Gill on Nicholson/South Clerk Street was indeed the
Cauldron comparatively recently, it was something else again back in the
late 70s....

Steve
--
Steve Glover, Fell Services Ltd.
Weblog at http://weblog.akicif.net/blogger.html
Away: steve.glover at ukonline.co.uk, 07961 446 902
Stephen Jones
2004-06-23 19:50:46 UTC
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:16:35 +0100
Post by Steve Glover
Post by Stephen Jones
The Cauldron is now the Quarter Gill. Dunno about any of the others.
I think the Cauldron referenced upstream was the one on Victoria
Street and is now the Bow Bar (unless it was a little further up the
hill), and while the Quarter Gill on Nicholson/South Clerk Street was
indeed the Cauldron comparatively recently, it was something else
again back in the late 70s....
Fair enough, I wasn't even born then. In retrospect I probably should
have kept my oar out.
--
Stephen Jones - ***@zombywuf.org

Anything but spamtrap might actually be read.
Ian Hughson
2004-06-24 12:24:43 UTC
I think the Cauldron referenced upstream was the one on Victoria Street and is
now the Bow Bar
That's correct. I'm told it was all black and red when it was the Cauldron.
Now it's a no-nonsense place: real ale, single malt whisky, and chat; wood and
mirrors; no stag or hen parties, no children, no games machines, no music. If
it didn't have a telly, it would be perfect!

Ian is my middle name.
Steve Glover
2004-06-24 17:59:11 UTC
Post by Ian Hughson
That's correct. I'm told it was all black and red when it was the Cauldron.
Now it's a no-nonsense place: real ale, single malt whisky, and chat; wood and
mirrors; no stag or hen parties,
Unlike the Cauldron - which was the last pub I was ever in single (did
the traditional thing of having the stag night the night before the
wedding). I remember pretending to be very drunk indeed and hiding under
the table when someone tried to "sort me out" with the go-go dancer.

Fair enough, it was almost closing time, and we'd been going since four
that afternoon.
Post by Ian Hughson
no children, no games machines, no music. If
it didn't have a telly, it would be perfect!
Has the odd beer festival, too (which reminds me - it seems I got filmed
pulling pints at the assembly rooms beer festival at the weekend)

Steve
--
Steve Glover, Fell Services Ltd. Available
Ian Hughson
2004-06-25 08:47:25 UTC
Post by Steve Glover
Has the odd beer festival, too
Coming up quite soon. I'll keep you advised.

Ian is my middle name.
Michaelangelo
2004-06-24 23:21:26 UTC
In article <***@akicif.fsnet.co.uk>, ***@fell.demon.co.uk
says...
Post by Steve Glover
Not planning on hitting quite all of them - some of the ones that do
good beer today, and a few others for sentimental reasons.
If you're planning an actual trip down memory lane you may wish to know
that some of them may have changed more than their name. For instance the
Regent in Montrose Terrace is now a mainstream gay bar as is the stag &
Turret (formerly the Terrace) across the road.
--
Michaelangelo

Accessible, self-catering holiday
accommodation for the disabled:
www.woodhead-cottage.co.uk
Steve Glover
2004-06-26 12:38:00 UTC
Post by Michaelangelo
If you're planning an actual trip down memory lane you may wish to know
that some of them may have changed more than their name. For instance the
Regent in Montrose Terrace is now a mainstream gay bar as is the stag &
Turret (formerly the Terrace) across the road.
Thanks for the heads-up, but I'd not let that discourage me. More
importantly, the Regent now does decent cask beer - to the extent of
having guest beers on (I believe they asked the local CAMRA lot to
recommend them some good light beers for 'Mild Month' back in May), and
the Stag apparently doesn't - what is it about the folk who run most gay
bars that leads them to believe that their regular clientele actively
dislike good beer?

Steve
Sean Mcilvenie
I used to drink in a lot of these pubs and I lived in the flats opposite the snuffbox(my grandad's local) the royal mile, Easter road and the bridges were my haunts. I remember meeting Billy Connolly in the blue blanket in 87. Back then I was known as Scott Douglas.
Richard Tobin
2004-06-23 21:40:41 UTC
Post by Stephen Jones
That's one hell of a lot of pubs, are you planning to still be breathing
at the end of this crawl?
In 1983 a friend and I visited all the Edinburgh pubs in the
then-current pub guide (about 210 as I recall), but it took several
weeks.

Never did more than 11 in an evening, or seven at lunchtime, and only
half a pint in each (unless they had Lorimer and Clarke 70/-).

We took notes, which I still have somewhere, but they tended to
deteriorate during the evening.

-- Richard
Steve Glover
2004-06-24 18:07:18 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
In 1983 a friend and I visited all the Edinburgh pubs in the
then-current pub guide (about 210 as I recall), but it took several
weeks.
If that's the guide I think it was, someone accidentally printed a copy
of it out on the then .LP20 and we managed to find a version sitting
around the help system or somewhere (it was one of those weird
partitioned(?) files that let you keep things in hierarchical sections
and page through them - but they printed funny).
Post by Richard Tobin
Never did more than 11 in an evening, or seven at lunchtime, and only
half a pint in each (unless they had Lorimer and Clarke 70/-).
We took notes, which I still have somewhere, but they tended to
deteriorate during the evening.
Sounds like they'd be interesting - my reason for the sudden attack of
nostalgia that triggered this thread was the realisation that the
twentieth anniversary of leaving Edinburgh the first time was probably a
good time to have the leaving piss-up that never happened...

Steve