Bitcoin pocket money?
Windmill
2015-04-14 05:18:24 UTC
I've been toying with the idea of using Bitcoin to send small amounts
(a few pounds, except on special occasions) to my Canadian
granddaughters.

The charges made by banks and the like make their use an expensive
business, so maybe Bitcoin would be better, assuming there aren't too
many wild fluctuations in value.

Anyone done this, or have any thoughts on the subject? I know
little about it myself.

I hope no one would want to tax a child's pocket money!
--
Windmill, ***@NoneHome.com Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Sam Wilson
2015-04-20 09:49:40 UTC
Post by Windmill
I've been toying with the idea of using Bitcoin to send small amounts
(a few pounds, except on special occasions) to my Canadian
granddaughters.
The charges made by banks and the like make their use an expensive
business, so maybe Bitcoin would be better, assuming there aren't too
many wild fluctuations in value.
Anyone done this, or have any thoughts on the subject? I know
little about it myself.
I hope no one would want to tax a child's pocket money!
I haven't used Bitcoins, but I recently used TransferWise which seemed
to work fine. No connection, just a satisfied one-off user.

Sam
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
Windmill
2015-04-22 05:07:30 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by Windmill
I've been toying with the idea of using Bitcoin to send small amounts
(a few pounds, except on special occasions) to my Canadian
granddaughters.
The charges made by banks and the like make their use an expensive
business, so maybe Bitcoin would be better, assuming there aren't too
many wild fluctuations in value.
Anyone done this, or have any thoughts on the subject? I know
little about it myself.
I hope no one would want to tax a child's pocket money!
I haven't used Bitcoins, but I recently used TransferWise which seemed
to work fine. No connection, just a satisfied one-off user.
Thank you for that pointer. As usual, while I was wondering about
Bitcoin, the world moved on, and that one link led to a host of others.

It sounds as though TransferWise are much better than the banks, if
their fee is 1 euro minimum, though even that might be too much if I
were to transfer a few pounds to each grandchild once a week.
(If I sent more, my daughter would no doubt want the cash to go into a
savings account for the girls, which is all well and good, very prudent
and all that, but not the purpose of the exercise).

And the sight of all the venture capitalists rushing into
cryptocurrencies makes me quite unhappy.
I would once have thought such people were a good thing, and I'm not
quite sure what has changed my attitude, but maybe it's the realisation
that there's no honest way for someone to become a billioaire in one
lifetime.
Corporate bastards are no better than government bastards, and less
accountable.