Pointless buttons
Geoff Pearson
2014-12-01 08:53:57 UTC
The steering wheel in my newish Volvo is covered in useless buttons. They
seem to be for cruise control, the audio system and something else. It is
much easy to work the audio from the big controls on the dashboard. I
cannot imagine ever using cruise control.

Anybody like these buttons? Just wondering.

Geoff
charles
2014-12-01 09:25:35 UTC
Post by Geoff Pearson
The steering wheel in my newish Volvo is covered in useless buttons.
They seem to be for cruise control, the audio system and something else.
It is much easy to work the audio from the big controls on the
dashboard. I cannot imagine ever using cruise control.
Anybody like these buttons? Just wondering.
Geoff
I thought that about cruise control, which was fitted to my current car.
However, I found that on motorway journeys, it's very useful. You can take
your right foot off the pedal at times. It's also useful in preventing me
going above whatever speed limit is set. Sometimes if the road is empty
speed creeps up.

Volume control on the radio is also useful, saves leaning over to find the
dashboard panels.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
Sam Wilson
2014-12-02 13:05:04 UTC
Post by charles
Post by Geoff Pearson
The steering wheel in my newish Volvo is covered in useless buttons.
They seem to be for cruise control, the audio system and something else.
It is much easy to work the audio from the big controls on the
dashboard. I cannot imagine ever using cruise control.
Anybody like these buttons? Just wondering.
Geoff
I thought that about cruise control, which was fitted to my current car.
However, I found that on motorway journeys, it's very useful. You can take
your right foot off the pedal at times. It's also useful in preventing me
going above whatever speed limit is set. Sometimes if the road is empty
speed creeps up.
I have cruise control and have been up and down the A9 quite a lot
recently. It's very useful.
Post by charles
Volume control on the radio is also useful, saves leaning over to find the
dashboard panels.
My car has the cruise and audio controls on stalks behind the steering
wheel which works very well. I know some cars (Citroens?) have the
controls on a stationary boss in the centre of the steering wheel. On
the Volvo do the controls move with the wheel?

Sam
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
Geoff Pearson
2014-12-02 15:09:22 UTC
Post by Sam Wilson
Post by charles
Volume control on the radio is also useful, saves leaning over to find the
dashboard panels.
My car has the cruise and audio controls on stalks behind the steering
wheel which works very well. I know some cars (Citroens?) have the
controls on a stationary boss in the centre of the steering wheel. On
the Volvo do the controls move with the wheel?
Sam
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
Yes they are on the fat spokes of the wheel. But I tend not to be fiddling
with the radio while I turn. I cannot imagine ever using cruise on the
A9 - but then I have been using it only since 1969, maybe when I get used
to it...Now in France sur le peage, then cruise is what you do.

Brian Smith
2014-12-01 10:05:21 UTC
Post by Geoff Pearson
Anybody like these buttons? Just wondering.
Geoff
Certainly not the late great John Peel.

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
2014-12-01 18:01:38 UTC
Post by Geoff Pearson
The steering wheel in my newish Volvo is covered in useless buttons. They
seem to be for cruise control, the audio system and something else. It is
much easy to work the audio from the big controls on the dashboard.
I think the idea is that you're less likely to take your eyes off the road,
and you shouldn't need to take a hand off the wheel. It's surely safer.

to ***@wingsandbeaks.org.uk replacing "aaa" by "284".
Geoff Pearson
2014-12-02 12:39:07 UTC
Post by Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
Post by Geoff Pearson
The steering wheel in my newish Volvo is covered in useless buttons. They
seem to be for cruise control, the audio system and something else. It is
much easy to work the audio from the big controls on the dashboard.
I think the idea is that you're less likely to take your eyes off the road,
and you shouldn't need to take a hand off the wheel. It's surely safer.
But there are so many I have to look down to see which one might help, which
defeats the object. I can feel for the big dash controls - the wee buttons
are hopeless. I can't imagine ever using cruise control - until we have
the 20mph limit next year!