Tram load factors
Windmill
2014-11-05 11:41:04 UTC
Has anyone been unkind enough to ask for verified figures showing the
number of passengers versus time of day on Edinburgh's trams?

Making a rough guesstimate, I'd say that most trams could be replaced
by a single decker bus, although some passengers would have to stand at
peak periods. And at some times, trams appear to be completely empty.
--
Windmill, ***@NoneHome.com Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
2014-11-06 00:18:27 UTC
Post by Windmill
And at some times, trams appear to be completely empty.
Perhaps they should paint them white and attach a trunk to the front...

to ***@wingsandbeaks.org.uk replacing "aaa" by "284".
Windmill
2014-11-11 10:44:26 UTC
Post by Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
Post by Windmill
And at some times, trams appear to be completely empty.
Perhaps they should paint them white and attach a trunk to the front...
Or Cameron & Co. could give the billion they claim to have rescued from
the EU to the City of Edinburgh to pay for the trams.
Murff
2014-11-11 19:56:55 UTC
Post by Windmill
Or Cameron & Co. could give the billion they claim to have rescued from
the EU to the City of Edinburgh to pay for the trams.
Even if it were real, why-ever would they do that ?
Murff...
Windmill
2014-11-12 19:12:39 UTC
Post by Murff
Post by Windmill
Or Cameron & Co. could give the billion they claim to have rescued from
the EU to the City of Edinburgh to pay for the trams.
Even if it were real, why-ever would they do that ?
I was just struck by the dissonance involved: Cameron making it out to
be a big deal, while the City spends that much on a half-baked tram
system.
Murff
2014-11-13 17:01:33 UTC
Post by Windmill
I was just struck by the dissonance involved: Cameron making it out to
be a big deal, while the City spends that much on a half-baked tram
system.
To adapt slightly the complaint of many a parent, to unruly small
children: two examples of utterly clueless incompetence doesn't make one
proper and due regard for the poor buggers who actually finance all this.
Murff...
Windmill
2014-11-15 00:59:08 UTC
Post by Murff
Post by Windmill
I was just struck by the dissonance involved: Cameron making it out to
be a big deal, while the City spends that much on a half-baked tram
system.
To adapt slightly the complaint of many a parent, to unruly small
children: two examples of utterly clueless incompetence doesn't make one
proper and due regard for the poor buggers who actually finance all this.
I'm not actually sure that a billion is very much, in the greater scheme
of things.
It's something like one pub night for everyone in the UK.

Or one Rosetta!
Zimmy
2014-11-17 09:48:11 UTC
Post by Windmill
Has anyone been unkind enough to ask for verified figures showing the
number of passengers versus time of day on Edinburgh's trams?
Making a rough guesstimate, I'd say that most trams could be replaced
by a single decker bus, although some passengers would have to stand at
peak periods. And at some times, trams appear to be completely empty.
Last week I used the tram to get to and from the rugby at Murrayfield,
even though it was jam packed, it worked very well. I think it is at
peak times where it makes the difference.

Geoff Pearson
How did you get to the tram to start your journey?
Zimmy
2014-11-18 12:03:38 UTC
Post by Geoff Pearson
Post by Zimmy
Post by Windmill
Has anyone been unkind enough to ask for verified figures showing the
number of passengers versus time of day on Edinburgh's trams?
Making a rough guesstimate, I'd say that most trams could be replaced
by a single decker bus, although some passengers would have to stand at
peak periods. And at some times, trams appear to be completely empty.
Last week I used the tram to get to and from the rugby at Murrayfield,
even though it was jam packed, it worked very well. I think it is at
peak times where it makes the difference.
How did you get to the tram to start your journey?
By car. The Gyle makes a good park and ride but don't tell anybody or
they'll put a stop to it and put in cameras or something.

Windmill
2014-11-17 19:36:41 UTC
Post by Zimmy
Post by Windmill
Has anyone been unkind enough to ask for verified figures showing the
number of passengers versus time of day on Edinburgh's trams?
Making a rough guesstimate, I'd say that most trams could be replaced
by a single decker bus, although some passengers would have to stand at
peak periods. And at some times, trams appear to be completely empty.
Last week I used the tram to get to and from the rugby at Murrayfield,
even though it was jam packed, it worked very well. I think it is at
peak times where it makes the difference.
That was what I expected. But when there's no match, no Festival, the
trams seem to be mostly empty.
The Real Doctor
2014-11-20 22:48:32 UTC
Post by Zimmy
Last week I used the tram to get to and from the rugby at Murrayfield,
even though it was jam packed, it worked very well. I think it is at
peak times where it makes the difference.
You see that on the metre gauge (ie small) trams in Freiburg (SW
Germany) which take something like 80 seated, 230 standing. Boy, can
those things shift crowds.

Ian